Amplifier @ Forum Bielefeld, 6/4/11

A self explanatory forum for...

Moderators: Poison Pimp, nataskaos, bornannoying

Amplifier @ Forum Bielefeld, 6/4/11

Postby slave_guard » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:44 pm

I saw Amplifier yesterday on their Octopus Tour through Europe. On this tour, the trio is reinforced by Steven Durose on rhythm guitar who used to play guitar in the now defunct fellow Manchester band Oceansize. So, the sound was a good bit more fat than you may have expected and as consequence, Sel didn't have to do all the little effects that are scattered on the Octopus album by himself. The sound was spot-on and as a consequence all the nuances weren't lost in a wall of noise.
Therefore, the songs didn't lose their mystic and majestic nature (e.g. see this underwater feeling of The Octopus or the outer space feeling of Interstellar).

I thought it was a world-class show. There were fewer people in attendance there in comparion to the last Helmet show with LaFaro and Harmful that I saw in the same venue last November though.

Setlist

The Wave
Interglacial Spell
Planet Of Insects
The Octopus
Interstellar
The Emperor
Fall Of The Empire
Trading Dark Matter On The Stock Exchange

Encore:
Continuum
MotorHead
UFOs
Airborne

Makes a total playtime of 110-115 minutes.

After the show there was the usual shakehands and chatter and it was good to see that all the guys are totally free of allures or conceit. They took time for everybody and I got them to sign my iPod, ticket and the Octopus poster that I picked up from the merch table (in addition to the tour shirt and the show itself in mp3-format that they sold on an Octopus-designed USB stick alongside some photos of the gig and a video message). As Matt told me, they have an album's worth of material in the vault that was recorded in The Octopus sessions, so it seems we don't have to wait another 3.5 years for new output.

P.S. No one likes Manchester City.

P.P.S The support band was local band called 7 Days Awake. They blended together a solid mix of Alt. Rock together with some Post-Rock and Space Rock attacks with large instrumental parts, probably because the drummer was also the singer. Not a bad fit to Amplifier.
slave_guard
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Return to Show Reviews