Page Hamilton DVD out now!

General Helmet debate

Moderators: Poison Pimp, nataskaos, bornannoying

Re: Page Hamilton DVD out now!

Postby land it74 » Fri May 15, 2009 3:52 pm

The DVD is now on its way. :)

This will make the next round of Q & A with Page even more musically geeky.
land it74
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan

Postby JonCurcio » Sat May 16, 2009 6:32 pm

It looks like I won't be getting it as soon as I thought. I got an email from stagepass.com telling me the DVD is being reprinted (probably due to the helmet.com thing) and will be backordered.
JonCurcio
Ambitious Upstart
Ambitious Upstart

Postby jarek » Tue May 19, 2009 11:58 pm

Fuck I just got e-mail with the same information :(
jarek
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan

Postby bornannoying » Fri May 22, 2009 1:10 pm

Jot wrote:So this is a computer DVD, or for a DVD player with add'tl computer content (the PDF's)? If it's the latter does anyone knows whether it's region code free?

Just discovered that the region is set to 0, which apparently means it's region free.
bornannoying
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Jot » Mon May 25, 2009 7:24 am

bornannoying wrote:
Jot wrote:So this is a computer DVD, or for a DVD player with add'tl computer content (the PDF's)? If it's the latter does anyone knows whether it's region code free?

Just discovered that the region is set to 0, which apparently means it's region free.

Awesome, thanks!

RockMessiah wrote:I'm definitly getting this too. Do you have any info what's the best way to acquire it in Europe?

The DVD's website has a list of retailers by location: http://www.halleonard.com/links_retailers.jsp
"The Buy Now from Music Retailer option will bring up a geographical list of options. When you click on the retailer of choice, you will have the option of having the order shipped directly to you or picking the order up at their store location (thus saving shipping costs!). Once you confirm your order, we will notify the dealer of your order and they will contact you with final costs."

I think I'll try this.
You never go down fighting. You just go down.
Jot
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Got it!

Postby land it74 » Wed May 27, 2009 7:28 pm

Finally, I was able to pick my copy up over lunch. I ordered it and it arrived last week at the one of the local music shops. I guess it was already on its way before the mistakes were found on the packaging. So, I'll view it soon and report back to you guys.
land it74
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan

Postby jarek » Wed May 27, 2009 7:58 pm

Cool man ....

BA :

Do You know when that DVD will be ready to go ?
jarek
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan

Postby bornannoying » Wed May 27, 2009 9:30 pm

jarek wrote:
BA :

Do You know when that DVD will be ready to go ?

No idea buddy, but I imagine those errors are something of an embarrassment for the publisher, so I'd guess they'll be doing it pretty quick. I'm waiting for a copy myself so, hopefully, it won't be too long.
bornannoying
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby land it74 » Fri May 29, 2009 6:53 am

So, I found some time this evening to get into the DVD and...WOAH! The musical concepts are not easy to grasp even though Page uses words to try and tone down the "difficulty" factor of the content. In the half-hour of wanting to see what his ideas were about, I was both excited and intimidated by how much he knew. If you didn't know already, he has a degree in jazz guitar! And in that 30-minute viewing, he essentially displays his jazz chops to explain concepts that are applied to Helmet tunes. He proves he no slouch and is pretty disciplined in the art of making music and applying this knowledge to rock. Page even shows you many samples from his music method library, plus, his personal practice schedule that he keeps!

I'm casually versed in music theory and jazz, but if you haven't touched upon fundamental musical understanding (theory or, say, an above average knowledge of making chords, etc) then this DVD might be too much to comprehend. Still, I'm really looking forward to studying what I can. It will be a very valuable reference!

Geez! I think Page can do anything he wants with his musical background...teach at a university level, become a session player or a great composer of things beyond his Helmet-brand of rock.

WOW!
land it74
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan

Postby bornannoying » Fri May 29, 2009 9:30 am

land it74 wrote:I'm casually versed in music theory and jazz, but if you haven't touched upon fundamental musical understanding (theory or, say, an above average knowledge of making chords, etc) then this DVD might be too much to comprehend. Still, I'm really looking forward to studying what I can. It will be a very valuable reference!

If you didn't know already, he has a degree in jazz guitar!

Sounds awesome man, I can't wait to see it! Page sent me the script about a year ago and, right from first looking at it, I thought "shit, this is hard stuff", but rather than be daunted I decided to up my game and finally get to grips with some theory. It may well take me years to really understand and apply the stuff that the DVD covers, but I'd say that's good value; I'd much rather have that than the more typical cheesy riffs 'n' licks style guitar instruction.

Like you say, it can be a valuable reference: maybe after first viewing you need to go spend a month getting to grips with some fundamentals before you can come back to the DVD and extract a little more from it, then go through the process all over again. Anyway, good luck with it!

By the way, I thought everyone knew about his masters degree in jazz?!
bornannoying
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jarek » Fri May 29, 2009 1:51 pm

Yeah sounds really cool to me .I can't wait to see it and learn how to play it :) How about "bonus " live tracks ??? "See you dead" and others
jarek
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan

Postby land it74 » Fri May 29, 2009 2:41 pm

I've yet to see a full on performance of the music listed on the DVD...there may be some bonus distorted/backing band demonstration...I don't know but I'll find out. There's PDF material, maybe some stuff that only can be viewed on you computer. Again, I've only viewed so much, but I'm excited to get back to it.

He does inject snippets of well-known Helmet riffs into his talk (for example: Give It, Crisis King) on a clean-sounding guitar and reveals some of his musical concepts behind these riffs.

Guys! If you think you've got a lot of experience on guitar, I think Page's vast knowledge will really challenge you! It is worth the purchase if you really want to be a student of music not just a fan of Helmet. It's definitely not for those who want Helmet licks and such, you'll be disappointed and find there's not a section of "here's how you play this great Helmet tune." Page's overall intention is for you to liberate yourself and expand your taste and knowledge of music technique. He's got advice for more disciplined practice like scales (e.g. whole-steps, diminished) and suggestions on recording yourself and so on just like a true instructor who's faithful to the craft of music. Take what you want from it. I think there's something for everyone if you're open to it.

Ahem...for you new, young Helmet followers who haven't read his bio, Page has a degree in jazz guitar and can play the shit out of one if he's asked to :D
land it74
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan

Postby land it74 » Fri May 29, 2009 10:07 pm

Ok, I saw all of the DVD material except for the extra audio commentary about guitar effects and the PDFs for your PC/Macs. They do indeed have a PERFORMANCE section (full band featuring Jon, Kyle, Dan) on the set rocking 4 Helmet standards--Swallowing, Enemies, Unsung, See You Dead. You won't be disappointed. It's all live but without audience. I do wish there was a nod to other older material from Strap, Betty, or Aftertaste...but you take what you can get, eh. I hope that there are future volumes. Can't wait to hear what others think of the DVD.
land it74
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan

Postby jarek » Fri May 29, 2009 11:17 pm

I thought that the set list is :

Revenge Destroys Everything
See You Dead
Silverlake
Swallow Everything
Unsung

Is it another mistake ? .....Anyway I can't wait to hear that DVD
jarek
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan

Postby land it74 » Sun May 31, 2009 1:35 am

Uh-oh!

I put the disc in my iMac. The video played fine, though, I read the back of the case and it said that PDF files with chords, scales and progressions were included. There's nothing in the DVD folder on my desktop that indicates that they're in there...unless its been created as another type of file.

Someone let me know if I've ordered one of the few dud DVDs without PDFs. Or if you're an iMac person, let me know if there its hidden somewhere where I'm not looking. I swear they aren't in my copy of the video.

Grrr...
land it74
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Music