Page Hamilton DVD out now!

General Helmet debate

Moderators: Poison Pimp, nataskaos, bornannoying

Re: Page Hamilton DVD out now!

Postby markofcain » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:38 am

i got that vibe when i went to page's clinic last year...he knows wwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy more than most of us about guitar...but i suppose you get that when that is all you do...he has no TV, leaves note books all around the house so if an idea/riff/whatever comes into his head, he can write it down and not lose it...and i remember him saying that dont be bound by rules, if you hit a bum note or whatever dont let it phase you, it may sound good and might just be the thing that youre looking for in that particular part of the song, even if it goes against everything in formal musical theory
notice your image is different
markofcain
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan

Postby land it74 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:24 pm

I would really dig seeing more of his instruction. Is that clinic on YouTube somewhere or on the FTP? Anyone?
land it74
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan

Postby JonCurcio » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:58 pm

I watched the DVD today, just after it arrived. It was very good/interesting. I've said before that I didn't like Monochrome, playing the old songs in drop c, and have been sort of against the idea of the Helmet name for the various new band lineups. One thing I can't deny, however, is that the latest lineup sounds great. The performances at the end of the DVD sound amazing. Granted it's a more controlled setting than a typical live show on a tour, but the playing and sound was still impressive.
JonCurcio
Ambitious Upstart
Ambitious Upstart

Postby land it74 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:59 pm

Hey guys, let me know if you got those practice pdfs on your DVD copies. I couldn't find them on mine.

Yes, the performances are tight and both non-musician and musician (wannabes) like me can appreciate this one in their collection.
land it74
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan

Postby bornannoying » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:50 pm

land it74 wrote:Hey guys, let me know if you got those practice pdfs on your DVD copies. I couldn't find them on mine.

Yes, the performances are tight and both non-musician and musician (wannabes) like me can appreciate this one in their collection.

If it's not there, do let me know... I have contact details for the Hal Leonard guys and I imagine they'll want to know if there are problems with the disc itself (and, of course, you'll want a new disc with the correct stuff on it).
bornannoying
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby land it74 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:07 pm

I did contact some anonymous soul at Hal Leonard about this detail (or lack their of) and they recommend that the music shop (who ordered through) contact those in charge of the DVD at Hal Leornard. I explained that I couldn't find these bonus files, mistakes and halted orders from fellow fans to the shop employee. Anyway, they implied that I should have another one free of charge sometime.
land it74
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan

Postby JonCurcio » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:25 am

I don't see anything on the disc when I put it in my computer, but maybe I need a DVD rom drive for that?
JonCurcio
Ambitious Upstart
Ambitious Upstart

Postby Jot » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:50 am

Yes, you need a DVD-Rom drive in your computer. Trying to play it with a regular CD drive's not going to work.
You never go down fighting. You just go down.
Jot
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby jarek » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:36 am

Finally I have it .It is really good specially the scales and sounds effect combinations , most of the chords from this dvd I know , becouse I was waching Page's fingers everytime when I was on Helmet show or waching some live video :) .Is this DVD includes book or something ? I'm asking becouse I don't have any in mine dvd .The live performings sound great , I don't like just the snare sound .In this dvd snare sounds almost like kick drum. I prefer high tuned snare but it is just my opinion .Also I would give 10 out of 10 stars it is really nice dvd for guitar players and Page is a great/real musician .THANX PAGE FOR YOUR GREAT LESSONS !
jarek
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan

Postby Ruoska » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:21 pm

JonCurcio wrote:I don't see anything on the disc when I put it in my computer, but maybe I need a DVD rom drive for that?

Well yeah it kinda does say Sonic Shapes DVD on it...DVD, get it ;-) That'd be a great starting point. DVD drives can be found for $20 anywhere where electronics are sold :)
Flush it!
Ruoska
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan

Postby JonCurcio » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:52 am

I couldn't care less about the PDFs. I just tried it as a test for someone else who was having trouble here, and I assumed they were trying to play it in a regular CD-Rom drive. I wasn't expecting it to work.
JonCurcio
Ambitious Upstart
Ambitious Upstart

Postby land it74 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:15 pm

So, does nobody here who owns this have access to those PDFs? It's advertised as contents of the package...(sigh).

Someone PM me if you do. Thanks!
land it74
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan

Postby todd » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:11 pm

as long as your computer has a DVD-ROM drive you can view the files. they are just the scores to the two pieces he plays in the lesson...no tab, the actual music notation.

was it me, did it seem like Page was reading from a teleprompter for most of it?
todd
Ambitious Upstart
Ambitious Upstart

Postby land it74 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:26 am

I got my replacement DVD with pdfs and info corrections. No need to PM me...not that it was high on anybody's list of things to do.

Yeah, he couldn't hide the teleprompter stare but it didn't bother me too much.
land it74
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan

Postby co-pilot » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:12 am

I'm hoping to pick up my copy of this on Denmark Street tonight.

I'm worried it's going to be totally out of my league, but I suppose that's kind of the point!
co-pilot
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

PreviousNext

Return to Music