What did Helmet record at Sound City Studios?

General Helmet debate

Moderators: Poison Pimp, nataskaos, bornannoying

What did Helmet record at Sound City Studios?

Postby SoundCity » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:59 pm

I am researching for a movie about Sound City Studios (in Van Nuys, CA). Helmet is a band that is on a list I have, but I can't find which album they recorded there. This is the same studio Nevermind was recorded in. Does anyone know what Helmet recorded there?
SoundCity

Re: What did Helmet record at Sound City Studios?

Postby darko@totalgeek » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:04 am

I think it was just the one track "In the meantime"
darko@totalgeek
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby darko@totalgeek » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:07 am

darko@totalgeek wrote:I think it was just the one track "In the meantime"

sorry, I was wrong! :oops:
December 1991 – February 1992 at Fun City, New York City except "In the Meantime" recorded at Chicago Recording Company, Chicago, IL
darko@totalgeek
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby eht13 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:45 pm

I don't have my CDs available to check right now... do you know what the date of that studio time was? We should know based on that.

Based on the location, my guess is Size Matters.
eht13
Obsessive Compulsive
Obsessive Compulsive

Postby bornannoying » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:18 pm

Size Matters was at Cello. Aftertaste at Hollywood Sound… all this is on Wikipedia.
bornannoying
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby eht13 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:14 am

bornannoying wrote:Size Matters was at Cello. Aftertaste at Hollywood Sound… all this is on Wikipedia.

Most of the recording studios are listed on Wikipedia, but it doesn't look like all of them are. Regardless, I checked the CD liner notes of all the albums, and oddly enough none of them say they were recorded at Sound City Studios. Size Matters says it was engineered at Cello Studios (and other places too, I think), but for some reason it doesn't actually say where it was recorded (even though the Wikipedia page says it was recorded at Cello Studios).
eht13
Obsessive Compulsive
Obsessive Compulsive

Postby bornannoying » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:28 am

eht13 wrote:Most of the recording studios are listed on Wikipedia, but it doesn't look like all of them are.

True enough. I'm not sure why a movie researcher doesn't just call the subject of his movie and ask them… but what do I know.

eht13 wrote:Size Matters says it was engineered at Cello Studios (and other places too, I think), but for some reason it doesn't actually say where it was recorded (even though the Wikipedia page says it was recorded at Cello Studios).

I think the reason for this is that a lot of the recording was done piecemeal at various places over time, with "assembly" and additional recording at Cello. Makes sense given the highly collaborative nature of that record, and the fact that the full band was recruited quite late in the day.

Anyway, it must've been some odd track, maybe a soundtrack or compilation contribution or something. Either that or some piece of album post-production so small it wasn't worth crediting.
bornannoying
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Music