New album this year?!

Discuss the new album.

Moderators: Poison Pimp, nataskaos, bornannoying

Re: New album this year?!

Postby couch X slouch » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:12 pm

darko@totalgeek wrote:if thats the cover.......hello digital download!!

That cover / logo's embarassing :oops:

Agreed 100%. Page doesn't like the whole nu-metal/modern metal scene and then has THIS for the cover? WTF? If not nu-metal that cover is something those dance-punk bands who abuse auto-tune would use on their CD.

I'll still buy the LP because I like Helmet and I like vinyl but if this was done by someone else I'd probably pass on it.
heaven lies in our hearts
couch X slouch
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby JonCurcio » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:07 pm

You guys have heard the vocals on those clips, right? If you think Monochrome was temporary insanity, I think we can now conclude that Page has lost his mind. The cover art is just a further reflection of that.
JonCurcio
Ambitious Upstart
Ambitious Upstart

Postby bornannoying » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:03 pm

Jon: express your views, by all means, but please be polite.
bornannoying
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby couch X slouch » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:21 pm

JonCurcio wrote:You guys have heard the vocals on those clips, right? If you think Monochrome was temporary insanity, I think we can now conclude that Page has lost his mind. The cover art is just a further reflection of that.

To be honest, I thought he sounded great in the title track. That was probably because he wasn't trying to actually sing but still, his snarl/growl is 100% on in that song. I wish he'd stick to that clean (Unsung-ish) singing and not this nasaly new melodic thing. That singing ruined "Gone" for me, that song was a banger and then he starts "singing". Oof.
heaven lies in our hearts
couch X slouch
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby eht13 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:55 am

I just mentioned in the new thread about the track samples (which I liked) that the new cover art is weird. Glad to see others agree with me, although I don't really know what good that does, haha. In addition to being weird, I agree about the cheesy, old-fashioned fonts used for both the band name and the album name. Maybe it's fake, but the track listing on that site (the same as on Wikipedia) seems legit, and of course the track samples must be real... so I guess the cover is too, since they said they received a promo copy.
eht13
Obsessive Compulsive
Obsessive Compulsive

Postby land it74 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:57 am

I think I stirred things with my initial comments about the cover. The musical content is more important, but just concerned whether that is the true direction of the packaging. I'd be disheartened if that was the official design:( I'll wait and see before I go on some premature rant. My graphic design taste are shaken up at this point.
land it74
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan

Postby helmet » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:36 pm

Upon the three samples I´m sad to say I´m pretty upset with what I´m hearing. Melodies don´t seem strong, singing doesn´t do it for me and cover art looks too bootlegish. Well, I´ll still give it a chance. Having said that, I gotta admit the lineup seems very strong and I will definitely attend future concerts.
helmet
Ambitious Upstart
Ambitious Upstart

Postby eht13 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:35 pm

land it74 wrote:I think I stirred things with my initial comments about the cover. The musical content is more important, but just concerned whether that is the true direction of the packaging. I'd be disheartened if that was the official design:( I'll wait and see before I go on some premature rant. My graphic design taste are shaken up at this point.

Well, I truly think you could have done something much better.
eht13
Obsessive Compulsive
Obsessive Compulsive

Postby eht13 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:38 am

eht13 wrote:I just mentioned in the new thread about the track samples (which I liked)...

So I just listened to these again (with headphones and more volume), and I am really liking all three of these. Methinks this album is chock full of potential. The title track (SED) sounds especially cool. "Everybody jump! Everybody swoon." 8)
eht13
Obsessive Compulsive
Obsessive Compulsive

Postby ViLe » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:06 pm

I'll add my two cents:

1) The preview clips we're promising. I agree with eht13, the title-song had the most instant gratification. As they were just short clips, it's hard to say, but it seems like a mixed variety. Waiting for the release / full songs for better comments.

2) I hope and pray that the cover art is just a plot to minimize leaking / pirating as in "spot the horrid cover art and you'll know it's a fake". Just look at the Betty re-issue live album cover art with the "correct" Helmet logo... Much more like what I'd expect :)

Edit:
An afterthought: a bold statement from the reviewer to claim SED as better than Aftertaste, Size matters and Monochrome combined...
ViLe

Postby eht13 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:17 am

Just in case you need help keeping up with the time left until the album is out... http://www.musiccountdown.com/Music/Hel ... ng-Eye-Dog

:lol:
eht13
Obsessive Compulsive
Obsessive Compulsive

Postby Jot » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:45 pm

Haha, nice. But actually this is the only album in the last few years I do not need a countdown for...
You never go down fighting. You just go down.
Jot
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby worstcase » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:01 pm

Oh wow. After 1 listen to the whole album I must say I'm thoroughly impressed. This album has way more energy and good spirits than SM or Mono.

So Long - hella catchy, a bit humorous, rocking slap in the face.
SED - you've heard this one - kicks arse.
Welcome To Algiers - for me this was partly a bit cold, but has a REALLY good outro riff thingy to compensate!
LA Water - love it.
In Person - catchy, a bit Monochrome-y IMHO.
Morphing - surprised the hell outta me. It really works and has a great atmosphere.
White City - this is my favourite song since BETTY. Yes, it's THAT good. My favourite on the whole album.
Your Bird - good cover, surprise for me. Works with the album very well.
Miserable - A little cold for me, sorry. The chorus gets better after a while.
She's Lost - didn't hear this yet.

To me it seems that Page has written a bunch of more light-hearted songs while still definitely retaining the hard sarcasm and his signature spite towards posers. These songs are really inspired which after all these years is highly surprising. To me this is a real kick back in the sack from Helmet. A job incredibly well done! :twisted:
In the meantime, Betty...strap it on. Size matters.
worstcase
Ambitious Upstart
Ambitious Upstart

Postby Ruoska » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:48 pm

Yeah, I was over at worsty's place and what a surprise, he had the album. I had no idea and was completely surprised. So naturally now I have it as well :)

We sat down and listened to it, all songs except LA Water and SED. I sort of hated it. I mean there were moments that I didn't hate, the two last songs and that Beatles cover in particular but mostly it felt like crap to me.

Then I listened to most of the album while driving back home and it just sounded way different to me. Man, it was like a spiritual revival of sorts or something :D Kool Aid in bath tub and all :) I very much liked most of it. The title track reminds me too much of SM/Mono as do a few other moments on the album, but other than that I think I'm going to like it much more than Mono :) It can't be compared to Betty musically at all, like most of you know, but it is a very different Helmet album. It's like, when you give someone Strap and Meantime and then give them Betty, they're like "...it's the same band but something's different". It's exactly how you feel with SED as well. Page's voice is still the old man angry yowl you know and love/hate from Monochrome, but the music can at times be considered very pop rock. Very different from anything Helmet has ever put out. Overall, unlike Mono which felt embarrassing to listen to and never grew on me (ended up taking to a pawn shop..), I WANT to listen to SED again :)

No score or no rating yet, just letting you know that at least I find it interesting and worth consequent listens and more digging into. This is coming from a hard ass Strap It On / Betty man :)
Flush it!
Ruoska
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan

Previous

Return to Seeing Eye Dog