More Page love in Decibel mag

Discuss the new album.

Moderators: Poison Pimp, nataskaos, bornannoying

Re: More Page love in Decibel mag

Postby bornannoying » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:29 am

land it74 wrote:As much as I love the Betty album, I think it's pretty touchy to draw comparisons to previous material. I know it's a frame of reference, but to say that Helmet is going back to post-Meantime material is pigeonholing Helmet within their own musical catalog. I don't think Helmet intends to re-capture the essence of any previous album or era, musical experiment or not.

Let's not allow this idea of Betty Deux gain currency. Nobody has yet said anything about expecting the new album to sound anything like Betty. The comparison, originally made by Worstcase and fleshed out by me and a few others, was to the general attitude of Betty relative to the rest of the catalogue, i.e. experimental, relaxed, and apparently unconcerned with expectations. That's all. Ruoska made brief mention of being a fan of the production qualities of Betty but, again, didn't say anything about expecting that from the new album.

Just wanted to get that straight before this snowball turns into an avalanche!

land it74 wrote:I don't mind the homage to Beatles. I suppose it can be construed as an eff-you to the serious side of heavy metal/hard rock music culture. I would've liked hearing Hamilton try a sincere homage to his hero Coltrane, not like the musical nose-thumbing of Beautiful Love, but Hamilton expressing his jazz sensibilities on the guitar whether his listeners dig it or not.

Nose-thumbing though Beautiful Love may have been, I think it's still a sincere piece of playing. Sure it's got the big noise freak out on the end but, man, can you tell me that the main section isn't beautifully played, with a great jazz tone and feel? I'll tell you something else, too; the more I listen to Page's soloing technique, the more I think that practically every solo he plays is an homage to Coltrane (and Parker, and Coleman, etc.); at times, his phrasing is spookily similar, and I think he even tries to mimic that overblowing technique with all the out of tune unison bends and what not. Love it.
bornannoying
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby land it74 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:31 pm

Indeed, no one stated a "will sound like Betty" type comment. I skimmed through all this material and wanted to contribute a general thought. Got caught up, that's all.

"...to say that Helmet is going back to post-Meantime material is pigeonholing Helmet within their own musical catalog..." wasn't the wisest choice of words.

There wasn't any intention of snowballing this thread into "someone said it sounds just like Betty" talk/debate. My bad.

:oops:

I guess the only way I'll hear Page do a straight-ahead jazz guitar piece (no distortion or avant-garde noodlings) is if he puts out such material on a totally un-Helmet styled project. I would like to hear a complete recording of his composition Silverlake that he featured in the Sonic Shapes DVD.
land it74
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan

Postby bornannoying » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:16 pm

@ Land it 74

Sorry, I probably came off like I was trying to give you a bollocking, which wasn't what I intended at all. I just write in a snotty way! I tend to find that forum threads work like Chinese whispers (or "telephone", as I gather Americans prefer to call it) and, before you know it, idle conjecture becomes cold hard fact. Nobody's at fault, it's just how this things seem to work.

So anyway... I'm starting to doubt he'll ever do a serious jazz album. For a long time I thought he might but, increasingly, not so much. Well, actually, I wanted more of a fusion type of deal but, still, essentially jazz.
bornannoying
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jarek » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:12 pm

bornannoying wrote:I'm starting to doubt he'll ever do a serious jazz album.

He recorded demo with Anthony Truglio as a Jazz Wannabes already , so who knows ........

land it74 wrote:I would like to hear a complete recording of his composition Silverlake that he featured in the Sonic Shapes DVD.

......and yes it includes "Sliverlake "
jarek
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan

Postby bornannoying » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:16 pm

From what I've heard of that stuff, it's not that jazz though, is it? I know it says jazz on the tin, but...
bornannoying
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jarek » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:38 pm

I remember when Jazz Wannabes played their first show , they did stuff from the Beatles , T-Rex through Helmet and finished on Jazz tunes .Right now they play mostly Jazz , so I have that feeling that one day we will receive CD with Jazz thing :)
jarek
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan

Postby Ruoska » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:52 pm

jarek wrote:I remember when Jazz Wannabes played their first show , they did stuff from the Beatles , T-Rex through Helmet and finished on Jazz tunes .Right now they play mostly Jazz , so I have that feeling that one day we will receive CD with Jazz thing :)

That'd be sweet, I love me some jazz as much as rock. Somebody ask PH if he actually has anything in the oven on that front or if it's still just a sparkle in the corner of his eye, so to speak. Well I suppose he wouldn't be doing anything like that now that a new H album is coming out. But still :)
Flush it!
Ruoska
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan

Postby setvak » Wed May 26, 2010 4:07 pm

bornannoying wrote:Let's not allow this idea of Betty Deux gain currency. Nobody has yet said anything about expecting the new album to sound anything like Betty. The comparison, originally made by Worstcase and fleshed out by me and a few others, was to the general attitude of Betty relative to the rest of the catalogue, i.e. experimental, relaxed, and apparently unconcerned with expectations. That's all. Ruoska made brief mention of being a fan of the production qualities of Betty but, again, didn't say anything about expecting that from the new album.

That's exactly what I'm hoping for. Size Matters and Monochrome were good albums (I think the play count in my iTunes library can attest to that) but in many regards they sounded too close to the Meantime/Aftertaste style. The vibe I'm getting from these recent interviews with Page is that Seeing Eye Dog is a Helmet reboot of sorts.

I know it won't happen, but I'd love to see that noise track be chosen as the lead single for the album :D
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." -- Bill Hicks
setvak
Ambitious Upstart
Ambitious Upstart

Previous

Return to Seeing Eye Dog