Signature Guitar

Show us your PH sigs, your Kolbe, your VHT/Fryette… and if you must, your Peavey Bandit!

Moderators: Poison Pimp, nataskaos, bornannoying

Re: Signature Guitar

Postby co-pilot » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:38 pm

So I've given up drinking for a year. As a little incentive I'm considering treating myself to the LTD PH-600.

I'm interested in the older 'brushed aluminium' one as I simply couldn't get on stage with the pink one and play my recycled Helmet riffs. It would be a step too far.

Talk me out of it...
co-pilot
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby bornannoying » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:06 pm

co-pilot wrote:Talk me out of it...

Can't. Great instrument. Plays great, looks great, sounds great, and doesn't have the ballache of a Floyd and limitation to one pickup. Although that said, I wouldn't argue against the pink one either. The only people who'd recognise it for what it is are (a) people you probably don't mind noticing your fanboyism and (b) unlikely to think any less of you for expressing said fanboyism. I'd probably gig mine if I was sure of being able to guard it like the crown jewels all night.
bornannoying
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby co-pilot » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:39 pm

Good point. My main guitar right now is a Billy Corgan Strat, which is probably much more likely to be noticed (amazing guitar though).

There's something that makes me uneasy about 'signature' guitars, but when they tick all my boxes; three humbuckers on the strat; no Floyd and a distinctly 'un-metal' look on the PH-600, it makes sense.

But then I own an SC-1 too....................definite fanboy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFdJNdLU ... re=related
co-pilot
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby bornannoying » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:58 pm

co-pilot wrote:Good point. My main guitar right now is a Billy Corgan Strat, which is probably much more likely to be noticed (amazing guitar though).

There's something that makes me uneasy about 'signature' guitars, but when they tick all my boxes; three humbuckers on the strat; no Floyd and a distinctly 'un-metal' look on the PH-600, it makes sense.

But then I own an SC-1 too....................definite fanboy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFdJNdLU ... re=related

End of the day, a signature guitar is either an indulgent celebration of fanboyism, or it just happens to be a well specced instrument that, were it not for its availability as a signature model, would entail forking out for a custom job. The silver PH model ticks both boxes. Can't lose. Pink one has the edge in the looks department for me – it's that inverse pointy headstock, and the slanted neck pickup routing – regardless of the PH paint job. If I had the dough, I'd have an identical one made with a front pickup installed, maybe in trans-green or matte black, and possibly string-thru-body rather than the floating bridge.

Incidentally, a Floyd isn't that much of a pain unless you change tunings a lot, and even then, mine lives quite happily with being switched between standard Eb and dropped Db. Might even stick a D-Tuna on it one of these days. It's just string breakages and string changing that's a bit of a bollock, but it's only slightly more of an arse to deal with than any floating bridge.

…that kid is on the escalator again.
bornannoying
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby co-pilot » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:07 am

I used to have an LTD MH-201 with a Floyd and although it was pretty amazing how well it stayed in tune it was just too fiddly for me. The locking nut got in the way and the whole thing just felt too fussy. I'm hoping the Wilkinson will have the simplicity of a Fender trem, but a bit more stability. The teardrop headstocks have grown on me now too.

So am I right in saying you have one of each sig guitar now?
co-pilot
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby bornannoying » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:28 pm

co-pilot wrote:So am I right in saying you have one of each sig guitar now?

No, but I've had a mess about with one of the silver ones. ESP, not LTD, but I gather the construction standards are pretty consistent between them.
bornannoying
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby whitewatersky » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:45 pm

bornannoying wrote:So I've kind of sat on this for a while - roughly 4 months, in fact - but I guess it's time to share with the nerd community: September last year, I received one of these things as a surprise "thank you" gift from Page and ESP. As you might imagine, a stiff drink was required when that arrived.

i love your review of that guitar. what an amazing way to get it !
i shoulda got one back then.... maybe I'll find one...
whitewatersky

Postby bornannoying » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:00 pm

Thanks! Still love that thing like a limb.
bornannoying
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Guitar