Keelhaul

Heard something you think we'll like? Tell us!

Moderators: Poison Pimp, nataskaos, bornannoying

Keelhaul

Postby scissorfight » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:23 pm

Band I have been diggin for last several years...wondering if anyone else hear knows em.

A little more frenetic than the Helmet pace...but still a heavy rock band,
just more time changes as say Mastodon.

Check out the tune "Cruel Shoes" on their myspace site.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... D=17148049
scissorfight

Re: Keelhaul

Postby Jot » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:23 am

Replying to an almost 2 year old thread here!

But I only heard about Keelhaul last year and it's one of those gems that you wish you'd come across earlier. Their heavy riffage and diversified rhythms along with sparsly shouted vocals and lack of solos make them a perfect match for me. Less clean in terms of sound and structure as Helmet, the sound could be roughly filed under Sludge, a bit doomy, but not really stoner. Yeah, categories fail most of the time. The Mastodon reference from Scissorfight is not bad, but their songs come more natural with the focus on gut feeling rather than technical showing-off. Went on a internet shopping spree to pick up their last 2 out-of-print full length albums and a bunch of 7 inches and splits recently, luckily their debut from '98 is only available on CD...

There's a new 2xLP coming out in August called "Keelhaul's Triumphant Return to Obscurity" via Hydra Head, that's what made me think of posting this here. Highly recommended.
You never go down fighting. You just go down.
Jot
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby co-pilot » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:41 am

I got into this band late last year too. They're incredible. I only have Subject to Change...is the older stuff worth getting?
co-pilot
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby land it74 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:47 pm

The samples I've heard are pretty good...gonna have to own me sum'this.
land it74
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan

Re: Keelhaul / Disappearer

Postby Jot » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:25 pm

co-pilot wrote:I got into this band late last year too. They're incredible. I only have Subject to Change...is the older stuff worth getting?

I have not listened to their self titled debut much, but if you dig 'Subject' then you should definitely listen to "II". This one I like best.

land it74 wrote:The samples I've heard are pretty good...gonna have to own me sum'this.

While you're at it, check out Disappaerer. It's related but slower and less "frenetic" than Keelhaul (and Helmet). It's probably the album I listened to most this year. This is sludgy as it can get. Before I got the record, I listened to their MySpace player until it broke.
And the best thing is, their label Magic Bullet Records allows free downloads of most of their stuff, incl. Frodus, This Will Destroy You, and tons of other great bands via http://www.gimmesound.com.
You can check out Disappearer for free here: http://www.gimmesound.com/disappearer/

Hm. I should have made this a different thread, shouldn't I?
Jot
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby co-pilot » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:08 pm

Just got the new Keelhaul album - Triumphant Return To Obscurity.

Damn it's good. A must check out if you liked the last album.

Checked out that Disappearer bunch too, really great stuff.
co-pilot
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby eht13 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:51 pm

co-pilot wrote:Triumphant Return To Obscurity

:lol: Great title.
eht13
Obsessive Compulsive
Obsessive Compulsive

Postby Jot » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:19 am

Yeah, the new album is so good again. Saw them on tour a few weeks ago and talked the guitarist Dana, they're a fabulous band. There were maybe 20 people, which was a shame. Also they re-released the first three albums (the debut actually for the first time on vinyl) on picture disc for this tour (300 copies each) and they went on sale the day the tour started...coincidentally in my city. So I guess I was the first one to buy these IN THE WHOLE WORLD...haha. Dana had to cut up all packages to find them.

The picture discs are, uhm, interesting. They are mildly NSFW so I onle link the image URLs in:
Front
Back
Jot
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby co-pilot » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:27 pm

Ha ha, those are genius.

I love how they are pretty much resigned to the fact they're never going to make it big so they just do whatever they like. It's a shame, but it hasn't stopped them putting out some incredible music.

I read an interview with the drummer where he mentioned that people shouldn't rip their style off because they only sell ten copies of each record and that other bands would be more likely to get successful stealing ideas from bigger bands.
co-pilot
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby weasel » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:04 am

For some reason I never got into these guys until this year, and I have been hooked ever since. If you asked me what my favorite albums of 2010 were, my answer would be the discovery of Keelhauls four albums.
weasel
Ambitious Upstart
Ambitious Upstart

Postby Jot » Sun May 15, 2011 9:49 pm

Saw them live again last week. There were 10 people who came out to the show. What a pity. But the band was superb again.
Jot
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Return to Recommendations