Page Halimton Interview

General Helmet debate

Moderators: Poison Pimp, nataskaos, bornannoying

Page Halimton Interview

Postby darko@totalgeek » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:19 pm

Entrevista Page Hamilton - Helmet - TMN ao Vivo - Lisboa 2012

the first half is the normal spill.............gets interesting about 8.00mins.
Talks about the current line up v original. Throws some cheap shots at Staniner and Henry.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsFmnNAztyQ
darko@totalgeek
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Re: Page Halimton Interview

Postby eht13 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:26 pm

Interesting, thanks. The stuff about the original line-up vs. the new one sounds like stuff he's been saying for a while though. And the things he says about John and Henry come off more as being honest than they do as cheap shots, IMO (assuming that the part about Henry being disinterested in Helmet for a while when he was still in it is true).
eht13
Obsessive Compulsive
Obsessive Compulsive

Postby Jot » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:28 pm

Very interesting indeed.

darko@totalgeek wrote:Page Hamilton & John Stowell Live in Santa Monica
Page Hamilton will be playing a special jazz set with his guitar hero and mentor the phenomenal John Stowell, on February 22nd at the Typhoon restaurant at Santa Monica Airport.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_42qNH86 ... 537Ttsw1U=

Is this the Hamilton/Stowell perfomance he was mentioning? It's just 8 minutes and it did sound like there should be the whole set.
You never go down fighting. You just go down.
Jot
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby land it74 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:35 pm

Yeah, I think he was being frank about Stanier and Bogdan, though, I'm sure it'd sting a bit to hear that your band of the moment (Battles...whatever you think of them) isn't has as good as Helmet.

I dig hearing and seeing Page talk about his jazz side. Whenever he decides to retire Helmet, I'm sure he can have steady jazz gigs and be a studio guy since he has those chops.

Thanks for posting the vids!
land it74
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan

Postby eht13 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:46 am

That's true, I was a bit surprised to hear him say that whatever John is doing now isn't as good as Helmet (the interviewer actually said the name Battles first, I think). I guess other than Battles John has TMOC, but that seems inconsistent. Page usually avoids being openly critical of other bands like that, but personally I don't like Battles at all so I've got to agree with Page there... haha. The jazz thing is cool to hear him talk about, and it's interesting that at this point in his career anything musical can still make him nervous like he said that performance did.
eht13
Obsessive Compulsive
Obsessive Compulsive

Postby co-pilot » Wed May 02, 2012 6:55 am

Great interview.

Although it must be said, Battles' Gloss Drop was probably my favourite album of last year...amazing live too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HARfCMHfPOM
co-pilot
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby eht13 » Wed May 02, 2012 1:53 pm

To each his own I guess. I just listened to / watched some of the new Battles stuff on YouTube, and I still don't get it. Some of the new songs sound to me like they'd be great as the background music in TV commercials... haha.

I forgot Tomahawk when I mentioned Battles and TMOC. I expected to like Tomahawk, mostly because their lineup sounded interesting, but I didn't really like them either. Apparently they have a new album coming out later this year (just learned that on Wikipedia), so it does look like Stanier is staying busy.
eht13
Obsessive Compulsive
Obsessive Compulsive

Postby co-pilot » Wed May 02, 2012 8:28 pm

I didn't really like the first Battles album - although I genuinely believe Atlas is one of the best songs released this century.

But the new album is incredible. It took me a while to get into it, when I first heard Ice Cream I thought it was shit, but it really grows on you. At ATP in December I got to stand a few feet from John and watch him beat the shit out of a drum kit - you don't get that chance very often these days.

In fact, this was the very show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSrP17Yc ... re=related
co-pilot
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Return to Music