Helmet: the future?

General Helmet debate

Moderators: Poison Pimp, nataskaos, bornannoying

Re: Helmet: the future?

Postby fnm » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:20 pm

Yeah hope you're all good. Still checking here every week for updates. Still hoping to see Helmet for the first time this year...
i'm not making sense, just ignore me...
fnm
Ambitious Upstart
Ambitious Upstart

Postby jarek » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:20 pm

Last time when I spoke to Page he told me that right now he is working on new linking park record....anyway I will see him like in a month so I will ask him about new helmet album etc.
jarek
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan

Postby fnm » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:37 pm

Linkin Park? Meh, not my thing, fair enough though!

I saw Helmet on a poster for a 'rockers against trafficking' event on april 11th?

ahh heres a vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=actmGnu3nEs
i'm not making sense, just ignore me...
fnm
Ambitious Upstart
Ambitious Upstart

Postby slave_guard » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:32 pm

Here's the Linkin Park song with Page on vox and guitar:

http://youtu.be/n9OvR79a4dE

...and don't forget the shitstorm on the Helmet facebook page :wink:
slave_guard
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby JonCurcio » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:00 pm

slave_guard wrote:Here's the Linkin Park song with Page on vox and guitar:

http://youtu.be/n9OvR79a4dE

...and don't forget the shitstorm on the Helmet facebook page :wink:

Page did a great job on this! My expectations weren't very high, but I love it. Parts of his vocals remind me a little of his earlier melodic style during Meantime era, which is a good thing, I think.
JonCurcio
Ambitious Upstart
Ambitious Upstart

Postby eht13 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:13 am

New interview... Page discusses the current and upcoming tours, Betty, and a new album (which he seems to think will be released spring 2015).

http://newnoisemagazine.com/interviews- ... difficult/
eht13
Obsessive Compulsive
Obsessive Compulsive

Postby eht13 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:41 pm

Let me repeat that... "a new album (which he seems to think will be released spring 2015)".

OK, this place is slow now. :wink:
eht13
Obsessive Compulsive
Obsessive Compulsive

Postby slave_guard » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:53 pm

Iz gud news. I'd still like to know if you can buy the track from the Melvins split somewhere and in a format that is not vinyl.
slave_guard
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby bornannoying » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:09 pm

It's basically dead, isn't it? If we can justify a site redesign to tie in with the new album, I think it's time to retire this old girl.

Melvins split – not that I know of.
bornannoying
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby eht13 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:50 pm

bornannoying wrote:It's basically dead, isn't it? If we can justify a site redesign to tie in with the new album, I think it's time to retire this old girl.

Sadly, it really is dead. Maybe this is the fate of discussion forums in general these days... the only other forum I'm still active on, though, is extremely active. But I think it's a definite exception.

So you're thinking a site redesign built around the new album, that simply no longer has a forum? That could work, and would make sense. I don't even know, is that how most bands' websites are these days? Maybe whatever interaction they have with fans, or that fans have with each other, is supposed to be done through Facebook, Twitter, etc. Seems quite limiting to me, but oh well.
eht13
Obsessive Compulsive
Obsessive Compulsive

Postby bornannoying » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:27 pm

Can it be a sign from the gods that my original response to this disappeared into the digital ether?

I think forums (fora?) like this have more or less had their day. It's a numbers game. In fact, demand for anything other than the home and tour pages is next to nothing. Looking at some other bands' sites, I think that's how things are now.

Aye, when I was a lad, this was all forums as far as the eye could see…
bornannoying
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby eht13 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:34 pm

Ah yes, our good old "forums" vs. "fora" conversation. :wink: I think you're technically right with "fora", but it seems like "forums" may be more commonly used.

At any rate, they do seem to be on the decline overall for sure. I wonder if it depends on the topic, though... for example, Helmet's is probably very similar to most other bands' sites. As you mentioned, other bands' sites seem to just focus on news on the home page and the tour page (which is ironic given that those two things, news and tours, are what a Facebook page is able to present decently too). I'm still not on Facebook, but I do use Twitter sometimes (which Helmet only seems to use pretty minimally).

So maybe music is an area that just doesn't seem to have active forums anymore, but it's still part of a larger trend overall. As I said, I am still active on one other forum, but it's very active so it must be an exception among forums (no matter what the topic). It's the largest Star Wars forum, although lots of other stuff gets discussed there too. http://boards.theforce.net/ if anyone's interested. I'm actually a mod there (my name there is EHT).

Anyway, I guess this marks ten years since the first official Helmet forum got started in 2004, in preparation for the Size Matters release. Most of the regulars are long gone, of course. With almost zero activity now, it just makes sense to retire the forum at this point (and not have one in the possible site redesign). Even with a new album, I think most of the activity for it at that point would probably be noobs looking for a free hook-up on the album. We had those with prior albums too, but at least then it was mixed with real discussions from regulars.

Well that was long. There's some irony in that. :lol:
eht13
Obsessive Compulsive
Obsessive Compulsive

Postby bornannoying » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:16 am

eht13 wrote:Ah yes, our good old "forums" vs. "fora" conversation. :wink: I think you're technically right with "fora", but it seems like "forums" may be more commonly used.

Ah you remember that? I'm reminded of it every time I need the plural. :)

eht13 wrote:At any rate, they do seem to be on the decline overall for sure. I wonder if it depends on the topic, though... for example, Helmet's is probably very similar to most other bands' sites. As you mentioned, other bands' sites seem to just focus on news on the home page and the tour page (which is ironic given that those two things, news and tours, are what a Facebook page is able to present decently too). I'm still not on Facebook, but I do use Twitter sometimes (which Helmet only seems to use pretty minimally).

Definitely depends on topic. To sustain a forum now, against a backdrop of social media and whatnot, I think you need a niche subject with enough enthusiasts and, crucially, enough enthusiasts that can debate the subject even in the absence of new events.

Even if you meet those criteria, there are still practical advantages to hosting it on an existing platform (make a sub-Reddit, Facebook Group, etc.): offloads the installation and maintenance headaches, use existing memberships/logins, better functionality, etc.

I think the a big reason bands retain home and tour pages, other than vanity (by which I mean looking professional), is analytics. Helmet's management don't really use it, but the data we have from web analytics could be very useful in marketing and planning. Other reasons are locking out people who don't use Facebook, and also (somewhat less likely but something I'd mention if asked) the risk of being 100% reliant on a platform you don't own and one that might go out of fashion next year.

eht13 wrote:So maybe music is an area that just doesn't seem to have active forums anymore, but it's still part of a larger trend overall. As I said, I am still active on one other forum, but it's very active so it must be an exception among forums (no matter what the topic). It's the largest Star Wars forum, although lots of other stuff gets discussed there too. http://boards.theforce.net/ if anyone's interested. I'm actually a mod there (my name there is EHT).

Depends on the band I think. A possible solution for us would be a forum (or sub-Reddit, what have you) dedicated to the whole scene: Helmet, Melvins, Barkmarket, etc. Would broaden participation enough to be sustainable while being focussed enough to be less shit than being, for instance, the guys (they exist) that bring up these sort of bands on mainstream guitar forums.

eht13 wrote:Anyway, I guess this marks ten years since the first official Helmet forum got started in 2004, in preparation for the Size Matters release. Most of the regulars are long gone, of course. With almost zero activity now, it just makes sense to retire the forum at this point (and not have one in the possible site redesign). Even with a new album, I think most of the activity for it at that point would probably be noobs looking for a free hook-up on the album. We had those with prior albums too, but at least then it was mixed with real discussions from regulars.

There are a lot of ifs and buts, but yeah. Still, I'm totally willing to look at ways (see above) of keeping something going, though.
bornannoying
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby eht13 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:52 am

Thanks for the feedback and replies, bornannoying. I don't really have anything else to add right now, anyway, but as always you have great points. 8)
eht13
Obsessive Compulsive
Obsessive Compulsive

PreviousNext

Return to Music