Page Hamilton DVD out now!

General Helmet debate

Moderators: Poison Pimp, nataskaos, bornannoying

Re: Page Hamilton DVD out now!

Postby land it74 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:20 pm

I recommend getting it anyway if you're a fan of the man's work. The pdfs that I was able to get from my 2nd (free replacement) DVD are advanced unless you're well-versed in theory. Silverlake is actual music notation/chord symbols and baffles me since my reading skills are rudimentary...I can understand the symbol parts but his melody will take much longer to decipher. The Super Chops exercise, which is just chord symbols, is a way to practice single notes or variations of those chords in arpeggios, triplets, etc. Hell if I know where to begin there!

I guess take what you can out of his lessons.
land it74
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan

Postby setvak » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:00 pm

On one hand, I want to get this album because I want to improve on the guitar, and obviously because I'm a Helmet fan. On the other hand, I have a nagging feeling that I'm really going to be overwhelmed when I get this DVD. I've been playing for almost three years, but it's all been self-taught, although I do have a basic understanding of music theory.
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." -- Bill Hicks
setvak
Ambitious Upstart
Ambitious Upstart

Postby eht13 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:20 am

land it74 wrote:I recommend getting it anyway if you're a fan of the man's work...

Land it: this is totally off-topic, but I just noticed your link to your website and took a look; great stuff! Your art/graphic design/illustrations are really very good. 8)
eht13
Obsessive Compulsive
Obsessive Compulsive

Postby land it74 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:27 pm

eht13 wrote:
land it74 wrote:I recommend getting it anyway if you're a fan of the man's work...

Land it: this is totally off-topic, but I just noticed your link to your website and took a look; great stuff! Your art/graphic design/illustrations are really very good. 8)

Thanks, eht13! I'm hoping to get a Helmet poster design in my portfolio someday. I mocked up 3 version and sent them to Helmet's management to see if I can do some sort of art for the band. No word and it's been a year. I still hope for that opportunity. They may not see the light of day unless I post them here for kicks...perhaps I should do this in general topics forum.
land it74
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan

Postby eht13 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:16 am

^ Yes, post them! And then get BA to get Page to look at them. :wink:
eht13
Obsessive Compulsive
Obsessive Compulsive

Postby land it74 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:25 pm

I'll post them in the General Discussion section. Actually, Glynn did help with a contact for Helmet's management, but I'd hate for him to personally bother Page about it. It's not that critical.
land it74
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan

Postby co-pilot » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:35 am

Well, you already know that I'm a fan of your work!

I picked up my DVD today, and guess what? No PDFs, just the DVD programme. I can't be bothered with the rigmarole of getting another version, would anyone here be good enough to email the extras to me?
co-pilot
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby jarek » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:23 pm

PM me your e-mail
jarek
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan

Postby co-pilot » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:36 pm

Having never bought an instructional DVD before I wasn't quite sure what to expect, this is really good though. Really inspiring and motivating. Plus, how many other DVDs like this have sections on how to make really heavy noise?

It's quite endearing to see how much of a geek Page actually is. The section where he gets his 'play along' jazz books and 'handouts' out was strangely touching.
co-pilot
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby land it74 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:37 pm

I'd like to think some of my daily 30-minute guitar playing sessions are productive but I'm sure they're way out of focus. Professionals with chops seem to be very regimented in their practice routine. Some may say geeky, but they can whip your average guitar player upside the head with their skills. Scales slow to fast with metronome, keeping a practice journal, transcribing Charlie Parker, etc? I need another lifetime for that...sigh.
land it74
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan

Postby setvak » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:50 am

co-pilot wrote:Plus, how many other DVDs like this have sections on how to make really heavy noise?

I take back my earlier post, I'm getting this as soon as I can.
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." -- Bill Hicks
setvak
Ambitious Upstart
Ambitious Upstart

Postby Poison Pimp » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:51 am

I'm going to order this DVD right away! I am geeky in the way I train on my guitar, so all these comments are actually tickling me to death...
Poison Pimp
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby IFutureman » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:06 pm

That's awesome, I'm ordering mine today! I did find it a little strange that the "Closer Look" link offered a little video snippet called "Triplets", yet he's not playing triplets at all in that clip; it's straight 8th notes. I assume in the full video, he starts laying down the triplets after this little section.

It'll be great to hear him playing some smooth jazz in a serious context, as opposed to the goofiness of "Beautiful Love".
IFutureman

Postby bornannoying » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:03 am

IFutureman wrote: I did find it a little strange that the "Closer Look" link offered a little video snippet called "Triplets", yet he's not playing triplets at all in that clip; it's straight 8th notes.

The exercise is supposed to be straight 8ths, but he says before starting that he might slip up and put in the odd triplet since he's being doing it for a while and is comfortable with it.
bornannoying
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Music