New album this year + covers?

General Helmet debate

Moderators: Poison Pimp, nataskaos, bornannoying

Re: New album this year + covers?

Postby Sebastian » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:30 pm

There will be no more Meantime 2 or Betty 2. Different times, different musicans, different Page H.
It's not a bad album. Maybe it"s the best album after Helmet split in 90's. I don't know yet...

Anyone knows there will be new merch online ?
Sebastian

Postby modelcitizen » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:18 am

all the helmet records took time to grow on me. the ones that never did started with monochrome(One song did).
maybe i've just outgrown this genre(funny how i've NEVER outgrown the good helmet records).
RIP, helmet. glad to have known you in your salad days.
this is a record that i'm sure will not grow on me.
it's been fun. maybe someday page will write a record i can enjoy again under or not the helmet banner....
modelcitizen

Postby eht13 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:37 pm

If all the helmet albums took time to grow on you, how can you already be sure this one will not grow on you? Just curious. All I know is that I won't ever like this album as much as Strap It On, Meantime, or Betty. But as I said earlier, I already think I like it better than Aftertaste, Size Matters, Monochrome, and Seeing Eye Dog.

On that note, I do wonder if Page is now thinking of retiring Helmet. That was the goal he stated quite a few years ago, and if I recall correctly this was the second album released since he said that (the goal as stated then was to put out two more albums and then retire the band). Of course plans can change, but naturally I think we're all wondering.
eht13
Obsessive Compulsive
Obsessive Compulsive

Postby eht13 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:55 pm

Just over a month after the first new Helmet album in six years gets released, and this is the forum:

:wink:
eht13
Obsessive Compulsive
Obsessive Compulsive

Postby Sebastian » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:15 pm

Nowadays facebook is everything. It's sad...
Sebastian

Postby eht13 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:09 pm

Sebastian wrote:Nowadays facebook is everything. It's sad...

Yes, definitely. But as I said in an earlier discussion with bornannoying in the "Future of Helmet" thread, not everything is like that... certain topics still support very active forums (my personal experience with that is Star Wars). But yes, maybe for music and definitely for Helmet, discussion forums don't seem to be very important anymore.

On that note, though, I don't use Facebook and I'm curious... how active is Helmet's page there since the album came out? I have checked it every now and then, and most user comments are basically just like "Helmet rules! Please come play in Akron, Ohio!". And on Twitter, Helmet used it for the first time in a long time to promote the new album with a few tweets, and that was it as far as I saw.

At any rate... in addition to wondering if Page will retire the band (see above), I'm also curious how well DTTW has been selling. I hope it's been selling well, but I really have no idea, and I wonder if everyone who liked the band in the past knows about the new album.

And finally, to stay on topic in here, I still like the new album more than anything else Helmet has done since Betty. 8)
eht13
Obsessive Compulsive
Obsessive Compulsive

Postby wsmbm » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:03 pm

I've played this album 3 times now since I got it for Xmas and can honestly say I think it's a great album - apart from track 6, Green Shirt, which I swear I will skip every single time it comes around. It's very similar album to Seeing Eye Dog. Looking forward to the Glasgow show in March !!
Because... you can't... be Pure... you're self-assured !
wsmbm

Postby eht13 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:52 am

Yeah, Green Shirt is an Elvis Costello cover, and I personally don't like it... I don't really know why they included it. It's the only song on DTTW that I skip every time.
eht13
Obsessive Compulsive
Obsessive Compulsive

Postby wsmbm » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:34 pm

Yep, strange choice. It's this albums 'And Your Bird Can Sing'. The rest of it is really great though - every other song. I wonder how many copies of an album Helmet normally sell ?
Because... you can't... be Pure... you're self-assured !
wsmbm

Postby modelcitizen » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:36 am

eht13 wrote:If all the helmet albums took time to grow on you, how can you already be sure this one will not grow on you? Just curious. All I know is that I won't ever like this album as much as Strap It On, Meantime, or Betty. But as I said earlier, I already think I like it better than Aftertaste.

just my opinion, but i think it's a poor record.still do after months. no accounting for taste though. to each their own even if they think it's somehow better than Aftertaste....
i'd rather hear him try to do a strange jazz record than more of this.
modelcitizen

Postby couch X slouch » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:26 pm

modelcitizen wrote:
eht13 wrote:If all the helmet albums took time to grow on you, how can you already be sure this one will not grow on you? Just curious. All I know is that I won't ever like this album as much as Strap It On, Meantime, or Betty. But as I said earlier, I already think I like it better than Aftertaste.

just my opinion, but i think it's a poor record.still do after months. no accounting for taste though. to each their own even if they think it's somehow better than Aftertaste....
i'd rather hear him try to do a strange jazz record than more of this.

+1. I hate to say this, but this is a bad record. I thought Size Matters was an incredible album but every record since then has been a steady decline in quality. Too bad, Helmet were my all-time favourite band. They had an incredible run of full lengths, they influenced a bunch of bands, and they'll always have a soft spot in my heart but they're no longer together in my mind.
heaven lies in our hearts
couch X slouch
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby eht13 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:24 pm

Just to add some clarity here... I said, "If all the helmet albums took time to grow on you, how can you already be sure this one will not grow on you?". That is not questioning someone's taste, it's simply a logical question. If you took a while to like each of the earlier albums, as opposed to liking them immediately, then that directly implies that you might eventually like something else that's new too if you give it some time. I asked this then because the album had just come out. Now, after some time has passed, if someone still doesn't like something then that's that. Personally, I knew what my position on each of the Helmet albums was pretty much as soon as I heard them, but everyone is different in how they assess new music.

I happen to like DTTW more than Aftertaste and also more than all of the other "Helmet 2.0" albums (that part was left out of the above quotes of my earlier post). But I can totally understand if someone doesn't like the new album or even if they feel kind of "done" with Helmet. I still like the band, but I actually hope they'll just call it a day and move on now that this album has been released.

At any rate, I just wanted to make that clarification. I think I'm going to also "call it a day" as far as posting in here goes... I did that once before, but I came back when DTTW was announced. However, the conversation and activity here (even with a new album out) has remained very minimal anyway. So... best wishes to all. 8)
eht13
Obsessive Compulsive
Obsessive Compulsive

Postby Percival » Fri May 05, 2017 10:57 am

I think this is a great record even when I played it for the first time I was skipping through it wondering I waited 6 years for this? What is this??? It grew on me and I appreciated it more I listened to it. I told Page the other day it was a great record and he was glad to meet a fan. Its not old school Helmet and it never was going to be I'm just glad to get a new record :)
Percival
Ambitious Upstart
Ambitious Upstart

Postby modelcitizen » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:31 am

so...any word on that weird jazz record?
let's hear 'im get steely dannish, eh?
or a Stingish thing?

christ, how 'bout that jazz jag jimi hendrix was veering off to right before he died type thing....
modelcitizen

Postby jarek » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:43 pm

modelcitizen wrote:so...any word on that weird jazz record?
let's hear 'im get steely dannish, eh?
or a Stingish thing?

christ, how 'bout that jazz jag jimi hendrix was veering off to right before he died type thing....

You mean something like this ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvl6wch7RfY .....we finished the whole album with Page , now it is in mixing process .
jarek
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Music